Contents of this blog – click here
Note that the DST was revised in June 2016 but with (so far as I can see) no significant changes to its content. I will make any necessary revisions in due course to this website.
Flowchart for CHC funding process: National Framework for NHS CHC flowchart (pdf)
NHS Choices – What is NHS Continuing Health Care?
Care to be Different – The website Care To Be Different was set up by Angela Sherman after her marathon three and half year battle with the NHS to secure Continuing Healthcare funding for both of her parents.
Buy her excellent book, How To Get The NHS To Pay For Care, to help families argue their case in Continuing Healthcare assessments. This is published as an e-book, which you download.
See also the Care to be Different page of Useful Links
Alzheimers Society forum – Talking Point
Parkinson’s UK Failing to Care Campaign and the All Party Parliamentary Group report (November 2013)
Department of Health guidance:
- The health and care system explained (eg what CCGs are)
- Plans to improve Primary Health Care (April 2014, DH)‘Transforming Primary Care’ sets out the Dept for Health’s plans for more proactive, personalised and joined up care, including the Proactive Care Programme, providing the 800,000 patients with the most complex health and care needs with:
- a personal care and support plan
- a named accountable GP
- a professional to coordinate their care
- same-day telephone consultations
The plan builds on the role of primary care in keeping patients well and independent. It explains how professionals across the healthcare system can work together to transform care to become more proactive and tailored to patients’ individual need.
Feel you’re not being consulted about your loved one’s care? Ambitious about Autism, Mencap and the Challenging Behaviour Foundation in partnership with Irwin Mitchell, have produced a leaflet to help individuals who feel that they are not being appropriately consulted about the welfare of their loved ones.
Download a PDF of the Leaflet. The two template letters contained within the leaflet are intended to help family members who have not been involved, or are concerned that they will not be involved, in the best interests decision-making process. Read more.
- Failing to Care: NHS continuing care in England – full report (PDF, 164KB)
- Executive summary (PDF, 31KB)